Sunday, March 15, 2009

Meningioma: meningo-what-now?

I realize that I’d talked about Meningioma previously, but had not mentioned what happened and what a Meningioma is. Here’s that story.

In early August, I was sitting at my computer at home when my left ankle went limp. As near as I could tell, my symptoms fit the description of someone having a stroke. I’d studied age related diseases so I was familiar with the simple “Act F.A.S.T.” test to do if you think someone is having a stroke. So I compared movement on both sides; I lifted my right leg and rotated my foot at the ankle and wiggled my toes. Then I tried to do the same with the left foot. I could barely raise my left leg and I could not “think” my foot or toes into moving. That was when I knew I was in trouble. With a stroke, brain cells are dying and the faster you can get help the better the chance you have of a good recovery. So I rolled my office chair to the phone and called 911. The paramedics arrived before I’d gotten off the phone. By the time they arrived I was already getting some movement back. I began to think I’d made a big deal out of nothing. Thank goodness the paramedics convinced me that it was better to go to the ER and see if I could find out what it was.

After questions, blood tests, neurological exams, two CT scans, and an MRI, it was determined that I had a Meningioma brain tumor, which is usually a benign, very slow-growing tumor of the brain or spine. They are quite common; 4% of cadavers have them, and those people never knew it. I have since learned that they usually are detected in people between the ages of 40- 60 and are found more often in women than in men.

Because meningiomas grow slowly, they may not produce symptoms for years, which was true in my case. The neurologist believed it had probably been forming for the last 10-20 years. My meningioma was pressing against my right side motor-control center, which is why I was exhibiting symptoms on my left side. My husband and I recalled a few past, very similar episodes of weakness in the left leg, but we’d always come up with more prosaic explanations for them (leg falling asleep, my being klutzy and my getting older).

Because of the slow growth of meningiomas, one treatment may be to monitor it. Whether or not to monitor the growth depends on the location and size (usually under 2 centimeters). Mine measured 4.3 centimeters. It was large enough to warrant surgical removal- the treatment most often used to treat meningiomas.

As someone who watches TV and loves the cinema, it was difficult to connect the MRI images I was being shown to myself. It was like watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy -- only I was the patient and McDreamy forgot to show up to deliver the news. Although everyone who dealt with me at the CPMC Emergency Rooom was fantastic: concerned about my comfort, safety and privacy, I simply could not take it all in. I don't think the news would have sunk in at all if it had not been for the manner in which the CPMC doctors delivered my diagnosis: straightforward, honest, compassionate, and in a gentle tone of voice. People thought I was pretty calm when I heard the news. I was calm; I suppose I was in shock. I was trying to accept and absorb the news.

(Next: Thank you but no thank you)

No comments: